beautyinruins

Bob @ Beauty in Ruins

PLEASE NOTE: I'm rarely active here anymore, but please feel free to follow me on Goodreads, where I post regularly.

These are the chronicles of a book addict, a photo junkie, and an aspiring author, rewriting the very fabric of reality one page (and one snapshot) at a time. From the strange to the unusual; the abandoned to the abnormal; the haunted to the historic; the supernatural to the surreal; the forests of dark fantasy, the cemeteries of gothic horror, and the post-apocalyptic ruins of science fiction are the landscapes of my imagination.

Deathstalker Rebellion: Being the Second Part of the Life and Times of Owen Deathstalker
Simon R. Green
Progress: 298/508 pages

From the Shelf to the Page: This Week in the Ruins

Another quiet week this time around, but for good reason, as you'll see at the bottom of this week's update.

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

Stacking The Shelves and Mailbox Monday are a pair of weekly memes that are about sharing the books that came your way over the past week, and which you've added to your shelves - whether they be physical or virtual, borrowed or bought, or for pleasure or review.

Only one new addition to the stacks this week, and that is Grudgebearer, the first book of The Grudgebearer Trilogy by J.F. Lewis. I was actually offered a copy of its sequel, Oathkeeper, but I'm way too OCD to start reading mid-series, so the good folks at Pyr sent me the first (and have a copy of the second with my name on it, should I enjoy this one).

Kholster is the first born of the practically immortal Aern, a race created by the Eldrennai as warrior-slaves to defend them from the magic-resistant reptilian Zaur.  Unable to break an oath without breaking their connection with each other, the Aern served the Eldrennai faithfully for thousands of years until the Sundering. Now, the Aern, Vael, and Eldrennai meet every hundred years for a Grand Conjunction to renew their tenuous peace.

While the tortures of slavery remain fresh in Kholster's mind, most of the rest of the world has moved on. Almost six hundred years after the Sundering, an Eldrennai prince carelessly breaks the truce by setting up a surprise museum exhibit containing sentient suits of Aernese armor left behind, never to be touched, lest Kholster kill every last Eldrennai. Through their still-existing connection with their ancient armor, the Aern know instantly, and Kholster must find a way to keep his oaths, even those made in haste and anger. While Kholster travels to the Grand Conjunction with his Freeborn daughter and chosen successor Rae'en, his troops travel by sea, heading for war.

αωαωαωαωαωαωαω

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is another weekly meme, this time focused on what books are spending the most time in your hands and in your head, as opposed to what's been added to your shelf.

With only a trio of release-date reviews scheduled for this month, it's a great time to tackle the third batch of titles in the Great Self-Published Fantasy Blog-off. So far, it's looking to be a much more successful batch than the last one, with 3 titles hooking me beyond the initial 50 pages.

We'll see how things turn out, but look for an update in the coming week.

Andy Grinsfelder – Soulraker
JL Doty – Child of the Sword
JD Brink – Tarnish
William G Saraband – Shattered Sands
Craig Saunders – The Outlaw King

What's topping your shelves this week?
Source: http://beauty-in-ruins.blogspot.ca/2015/06/from-shelf-to-page-this-week-in-ruins.html