beautyinruins

Bob @ Beauty in Ruins

PLEASE NOTE: I'm rarely active here anymore, but please feel free to follow me on Goodreads, where I post regularly.

These are the chronicles of a book addict, a photo junkie, and an aspiring author, rewriting the very fabric of reality one page (and one snapshot) at a time. From the strange to the unusual; the abandoned to the abnormal; the haunted to the historic; the supernatural to the surreal; the forests of dark fantasy, the cemeteries of gothic horror, and the post-apocalyptic ruins of science fiction are the landscapes of my imagination.

Deathstalker Rebellion: Being the Second Part of the Life and Times of Owen Deathstalker
Simon R. Green
Progress: 298/508 pages

Most Anticipated Fantasy Reads of 2016

As we approach the end of another year, it's time to look ahead to the Most Anticipated Fantasy Reads of 2016. It's already shaping up to be a magnificent stack of books from some of the biggest names in the genre, and these are only the titles with confirmed release dates.

There are plenty of other books we should see (Bradley P. Beaulieu, Mark Smylie, Michael R. Fletcher . . . we've got our fingers crossed), and several others I hope we might see in the coming year (Brandon Sanderson, George R.R. Martin, Patrick Rothfuss . . . we're looking at you), but rather than complain about what we don't have promised, let's take a look at what we do.

JAN-MAR

City of Blades, the 2nd book of The Divine Cities by Robert Jackson Bennett, hits the shelves on January 26th from Broadway Books. Critics have already hailed it as "astonishingly good" and a book that builds "beautifully upon the richly detailed world introduced in the first book of the series."

Chains of the Heretic, the final book of Bloodsounder's Arc by Jeff Salyards, arrives on February 2nd from Night Shade Books. Take my word for it when I tell you this one rips the world wide open and shoves us headlong into a heap of betrayals

Dragon Hunters, the 2nd book of The Chronicle of the Exile by Marc Turner, storms into port on February 9th from Tor Books. I've had good luck with second volumes blowing me away of the past two years, and I have a feeling this will continue the trend.

The Last Mortal Bond, the final chapter in the Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne byBrian Staveley, swoops in on March 15th from Tor Books. As we reach the epic conclusion, war engulfs the Annurian Empire.

Fall of Light, the 2nd book of The Kharkanas Trilogy by Steven Erikson, is scheduled for release on March 22nd from Bantam Press (Canada). Prequel sagas are always a tricky thing, but there's a wealth of mythology here to be explored.

APR/MAY/JUNE

Saint's Blood, the 3rd Greatcoats book by Sebastien de Castell, is scheduled for release on April 7th by Jo Fletcher Books (UK). How do you kill a Saint? Falcio, Kest, and Brasti are about to find out, because someone has figured out a way to do it and they've started with a friend.

Dancer's Lament, the 1st book of Path to Ascendancy by Ian C. Esslemont, arrives on April 21st from Tor Books. Another prequel saga, this one explores skilled assassin Dancer and mage Kellanved, founders of the Malazan empire.

Twilight of the Dragons, the 2nd volume of The Blood Dragon Empire by Andy Remic, explodes into the wild on May 3rd from Angry Robot. This time our, our heroes makes dangerous bargains in order to overthrow the dragonlords.

Children of Earth and Sky, the latest epic by Guy Gavriel Kay, is destined to dominate the shelves on May 10th from NAL (USA) and Penguin (Canada). This time around the story is inspired by the conflicts and dramas of Renaissance Europe, featuring a young artist and a fiercely intelligent, angry spy.

King of Ashes, the 1st book of The War of Five Crowns by Raymond E. Feist. appears to be on the books for May 15th from HarperCollins Publishers (but it's already been delayed a few times). It's to be a non-Midkemia book influenced by medieval history and Arthurian legend.

A Blade of Black Steel, the 2nd book of The Crimson Empire by Alex Marshall, is scheduled to march onto shelves on May 26th from Orbit. Five villains. One legendary general. A battle for survival.

The Wheel of Osheim, the 3rd book of The Red Queen's War by Mark Lawrence, is set to roll on June 7th from Ace. The Wheel of Osheim is turning ever faster, and it will crack the world unless it’s stopped.

Age of Myth, the 1st book of The Legends of the First Empire by Michael J. Sullivan, will be revealed to world on June 28th from Del Rey. Inaugurates an original five-book series, the Age of Myth is over and the time of rebellion has begun.

JULY/AUG/SEPT

The Dragon Round is the first novel by Stephen S. Power, coming on July 5thfrom Simon & Schuster. A swashbuckling adventure and a timeless tale of revenge, with a dark side, for fans of George R.R. Martin and Naomi Novik.

The Dinosaur Knights, the 2nd book of The Dinosaur Lords by Victor Milán, also stampedes into bookstores on July 5th from Tor Books. In a world where armored knights ride dinosaurs to battle, the dreaded Grey Angels have come to rid the world of sin...including all the humans who manifest those vices.

Assassin's Fate, the 3rd book of The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy by Robin Hobb, looks to be scheduled for July 14th from Harper Voyager. There's no cover or synopsis available at this point, but it should be epic. Robin Hobb has indicated that we're likely waiting for Spring 2017 for this now.

The Obelisk Gate, the 2nd book of The Broken Earth by N. K. Jemisin, lands onAugust 16th from Orbit. This is the way the world ends . . . for the last time.

Is there a title that I've missed? A must-read epic that you're looking forward to?