beautyinruins

Bob @ Beauty in Ruins

PLEASE NOTE: I'm rarely active here anymore, but please feel free to follow me on Goodreads, where I post regularly.

These are the chronicles of a book addict, a photo junkie, and an aspiring author, rewriting the very fabric of reality one page (and one snapshot) at a time. From the strange to the unusual; the abandoned to the abnormal; the haunted to the historic; the supernatural to the surreal; the forests of dark fantasy, the cemeteries of gothic horror, and the post-apocalyptic ruins of science fiction are the landscapes of my imagination.

Deathstalker Rebellion: Being the Second Part of the Life and Times of Owen Deathstalker
Simon R. Green
Progress: 298/508 pages
inSyte - Greg Kiser Greg Kiser`s inSyte is an engaging novel with an intriguing premise that stumbles a bit in its narrative execution, but which still provides for an entertaining read.

The story starts out as a straightforward military thriller, with a pair of Navy SEALS pinned down by enemy fire, outnumbered, and cut off from any hope of rescue. After a brief lull, the story takes an interesting twist into the paranormal, with one of those SEALS discovering the secret of mentally tapping into the limitless knowledge of the internet. It`s through that forbidden knowledge that Mitch discovers a “divine” plan that will result in the deaths of millions . . . a plan that he can prevent, but only if he kills the father of the woman he loves.

Mitch is a solid, if unremarkable hero, who is strong enough to engage the reader, but lacks that something extra that would allow him to carry the novel singlehandedly. Fortunately, we have a suave, sophisticated, amoral villain in Cheslov, the hitman turned serial killer. He`s entirely calm and accepting of his profession, with no moral or intellectual qualms, but also none of the maniacal insanity we`ve come to expect in these characters. These two play well off another, leading to a finale that`s as exciting as it is satisfying, and even if the final scene was something I completely anticipated, it still worked.

Like I said, the novel does stumble a bit in its narration, with a detached third-person narrator who exposes us to the characters` thoughts, often in a disjointed, almost random, stream-of-consciousness manner. It catapulted me out of the story a few times, leaving me confused as to who was doing or thinking what, but I did find you eventually make an uneasy peace with the style.

Otherwise, it is an fast-paced, exciting read, one that`s full of big ideas and which provides a tantalizing glimpse into the future. There`s an interesting world here, full of possibilities, and since there does seem to be a door left open for a sequel, I really hope Greg allows us to explore more of that world.

(this book was provided free of charge, via the Virtual Book Tour Cafe, in exchange for a fair and honest review)

Originally reviewed at Beauty in Ruins